Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Scent is Playground for Designer Samantha Banks

Jewelry artist Samantha Banks is busy designing for Betsey Johnson Black Label, set to make its debut in stores across the nation this spring, as well as working on pieces under her own name to show at 323 East this fall. She's also helping spread some "D" love around New York with PLAYGROUND DETROIT, a production company that reps Detroit artists and musicians through events like gallery openings, concerts, and film screenings throughout NYC. Here, the talent of two cities shares her sweet musings on scent:

What is your favorite scent "in a bottle?"

I prefer to wear a spicy vanilla blend. I've never worn a perfume that doesn't at least carry a hint of it. It blends with my own pheromones very well, which is the most important part about perfume. Nothing smells exactly the same in the bottle as it does once it is applied to one's skin. I love to stop in the perfumer CB I Hate Perfume, which has a shop in my neighborhood.


What does it evoke for you?

For me perfume should smell delicious as a pastry, but one sweetened by mother nature's delights, still light and earthy.

What is your favorite smell that can't be captured "in a bottle," and why?

My favorite scent is that of fresh air by the sea shore. I've visited the shore on the E
ast Coast every year to see family and friends. For me it represents not only the beauty of nature and the freedom the endless-looking ocean conveys, but also love and relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment