Saturday, June 23, 2012

My Trip to 'Fragrance Psychic' Marie Line Patry


Marie Line Patry, National Beauty and Fragrance Director, Guerlain.
On a lifelong quest for ethereal enlightenment, I’ve had my palms read, tarot dealt, and astrology charted. It wasn’t until yesterday, though, I had the pleasure to consult with a “fragrance psychic.” 

Marie Line Patry, national beauty and fragrance director for Guerlain, is known for her ability to divine people’s signature scents. I met Patry when she visited Saks Fifth Avenue at The Somerset Collection on Thursday, to greet customers and share a trunk show of the Parisian luxury house’s scents.

After briefly analyzing my skin, Patry deemed me a “very sassy” girl. Then, she recommended a fragrance wardrobe to complement my life as a wife and busy mom of young children.

 
“The beauty is that your own chemistry, after me picking the right notes for you, will be all day dancing with the fragrance and it will change,” Patry said. “That’s when you realize a true perfumer.”
As Patry applied her four fragrance choices to different sections of my arms (with a break for dark chocolate to clean my palate in between) she offered insights on the essence of scent — and life. Here were her picks for me:


Floral Romantique by Guerlain
Floral Romantique: "You have children so we want them to remember mommy with this beautiful floral. It is a very delicate, nice fragrance the kids will enjoy. During summer you want something light. You don’t want a perfume to announce you. You have your own personality. You want a good fragrance that will complement you and will leave that beautiful trace of what you are."

Angelique Noir: "This is made with vanilla and orange. Your skin loves those notes. You have musky skin. You smell your own charnel oud in the morning when you wake up, like when you grab your kids you will recognize their smell, like your husband, or your father, or your mom. Her scarf, when you smell it she will remind you, she will take you someplace. Smell and odors are very, very powerful."

Chypre Fatale by Guerlain
Chypre Fatale: "Exactly like when you go in your closet to see what you will wear for each situation, fragrance is the same thing. You will have a fragrance you wear when you go out at night. You have the seductress with the Chypre Fatale. When you’re with your husband and you want to be romantic, it’s got the white peach, like a femme fatale."

Cologne du Parfumeur: "It’s very fresh, perfect for after you work out or play with the kids. I like to spray my whole body with it after a shower. You can put it on kids’ clothes or if you travel you can spray your pillow at the hotel. I always have this with me and I really call it ‘the home fragrance.’ It was created by Thierry Wassar, who is a very, very, passionate man. He has the powers and capability to express that passion through the notes and the smell. Every house should have this fragrance."


For a fragrance reading of your own, catch Marie Line Patry this summer at Saks Fifth Avenue New York, July 10-13 & Aug. 1-4; Guerlain Boutique at Epcot World Showcase, Orlando, July 18-22; Neiman Marcus Fashion Island, Newport Beach, Aug. 7-8; Neiman Marcus Palo Alto, Aug. 9-10; and Neiman Marcus San Francisco, Aug. 11. Call fragrance counters directly for more information and to make an appointment.

3 comments:

  1. Hi fellow perfume blogger! I enjoyed reading your post having just learned about this woman today at Saks in NYC! I hear she is elegant and beautiful as well! Very cool! I reposted this on my blog so people can be directed to your site! Are you on twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K. - Thanks for reaching out! Marie Line was wonderful. I hope you get to meet her. Thanks for re-posting my blog. I added ReminiSCENT to the blogroll on In A Bottle. Look forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These articles have got complete sense without confusing the readers.
    Alissa Monroe

    ReplyDelete